Bringing together National PTA, Scholastic, Common Sense Media, GreatSchools and many more of the country’s most trusted parent and education organizations, the Be a Learning Hero public service partnership delivers trusted and meaningful information to parents to help them navigate the changes in their child’s classrooms. The new BeALearningHero.org website features a search engine where parents can find tools and
resources specific to their child’s needs, and also serves as a curated guide for parents of school-aged children to support learning and development—including THE SUPER 5: Learning Heroes Back-to-School Toolkit for Parents, available in both English and Spanish.
“Every parent wants the best for their children; they want to be heroes,” said Laura Bay, president of National PTA. “As students head back to school, we want to arm families with tools and resources to help their children start strong and stay on track to success. This new national effort is designed to empower parents with questions to ask and the right resources to prepare them for the school year ahead.”
“Kids whose parents get involved in their learning are more likely to succeed in school,” said Maggie McGuire, VP of Scholastic Kids, Parents and Teacher Online Channels. “Taking time to read to and with your kids and connecting with their teachers are great ways to ensure a positive start to the school year.”
Featured on BeALearningHero.org and distributed directly to millions of parents by National PTA, Scholastic and other
partners, THE SUPER 5: The Learning Heroes Back-to-School Toolkit for Parents provides practical tools to help parents:
- Keep the Goal in Mind: Learn what the specific learning goals are for your child’s new grade.
- Maximize Your Child’s Potential: Know where your child excels and where there is room to grow.
- Be Involved: Spend time in your child’s school and be in regular contact with his or her teacher.
- Character Counts: Promote your child’s emotional intelligence—it matters for academic success.
- Bring It Home: Make home another space for learning, and get tools for boosting your child’s math and English skills at the kitchen table.
Throughout the school year, BeALearningHero.org will deliver regularly updated, timely information to help parents feel confident and informed. Parents will find carefully curated, practical, timely and straightforward content from trusted parent and education organizations including videos, tips, guides and fast facts, developed with parents in mind, available in English and Spanish; specifically:
- Resources to understand the standards and new state tests;
- Learning tools from trusted sources to help parents help their children succeed in math and English Language Arts—searchable by grade, subject and content type; and
- Helpful tools for parents to use at home with their children and when communicating with teachers and schools.
Additional Be A Learning Hero partner organizations include: America’s Promise Alliance, Common Sense Media, Council of the Great City Schools, GreatSchools, Military Child Education Coalition, National Council of La Raza, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference and Raise The Bar. The initiative also features content from IXL, Khan Academy, LearnZillion, Teaching Channel and Univision.
Parents can visit http://www.BeALearningHero.org to learn more and sign up to receive regular updates with tools, tips and resources.