While no school is immune from the risk of a fire, the chances of it happening can be reduced or, if it does occur, losses can be kept to a minimum by following a few tips:
- Conduct fire drills regularly
- Ensure all exits are properly marked and nothing blocking the exit
- On the day of a drill, sound the alarm so students and staff get familiar with the sound
- Each classroom should have a map displayed showing the closest exits. Staff should review on a monthly basis with students.
- Predetermine an exterior location where everyone meets until an all clear signal has been given to reenter.
How can PTAs be involved with promoting fire safety?
- Ask local administrators to speak at a future meeting to discuss fire safety plans for the building.
- Partner with local fire departments to bring in speakers, host smoke detector inspections, or give away smoke detectors.
- Ask Administration to include PTA members on safety committees.
- Share fire safety tips with families and school personnel via newsletters, bulletin boards, emails, and social media.
- Encourage families to practice fire drills at home.