The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and Illinois’s ESSA implementation plan emphasize family engagement as a critical piece for improving student achievement. To help empower parents, families, caregivers, students, and other community members, the Dignity in Schools Campaign, Partners for Each and Every Child, and the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund have partnered to create the Engage for Education Equity Toolkit.
The toolkit provides resources, explanations, and processes to help stakeholders like PTAs engage with their school district’s implementation of ESSA to ensure that every child receives the quality education they deserve. The toolkit includes:
- Fact sheets on various aspects of ESSA at the local level
- Step-by-step instructions on how to engage with school administrators, create advocacy plans, and effectively advocate for your child
- Letter templates for contacting decision-makers
- Sample meeting materials
- Case studies of effective engagement in school districts across the country
- A glossary of education and ESSA-related terms so you can understand the terms used by school administrators
PTA has been an advocacy organization from its founding. When we advocate for children with our school districts, we can have a tremendous effect not just on our child’s school but also for all the children in our district. Take advantage of the Engage for Education Equity Toolkit, as school districts are creating their ESSA implementation plans now.