The spring session of the Illinois General Assembly wraps up soon, and there are several bills that Illinois PTA is advocating for that have already passed one house and need your support to help get them to the governor’s desk.
The links to our campaigns for each of these bills are below. Taking action just takes two minutes:
- Click on the link to any of the campaigns
- Enter your address (so your e-mail goes to your legislator)
- Hit “send message” to share our pre-written e-mail with your legislator.
You can add a personal story to the e-mail if you’d like to, but you don’t have to. The confirmation screen will have links to the other campaigns so you can support all these bills with just a few minutes of your time. Your voice does make a difference!
Here are our campaigns:
- Increase school funding by $550M and eliminate the Invest in Kids voucher program
- Implement the Whole Child Task Force recommendations on student support and teacher training regarding trauma
- Require a Financial Education course for high school graduation
- Ban electronic cigarettes everywhere smoking is banned (one bill to Governor; one more to go!)
- Create grants to help schools implement Breakfast After the Bell
- Require schools to have opioid antagonists (e.g., Narcan) should a student overdose at school
- Require school buses to have an extended stop arm that blocks the adjacent lane (Off to the Governor! Thank you, Illinois PTA advocates!)
When you click on the links above, you can also read additional information on why each bill is important and how it will improve the lives of Illinois children.