When asking people to join your PTA, you will likely hear a lot of reasons why they don’t want to join, and many of these reasons are myths about PTA. National PTA has created a flyer of 10 PTA Membership Myths & Truths that you can share with potential members to help with your membership campaign. The flyer also comes with a fillable version that you can add your PTA logo to. Here are those 10 myths.
- Myth: PTA membership is only for moms. Truth: PTA is for everyone! Parents, guardians, students, teachers, grandparents, administrators, school board members, aunts, uncles, community members, etc.
- Myth: Joining PTA requires you to volunteer. Truth: If you want to volunteer, that’s great, but your support as a member is enough.
- Myth: You must have a child at the school in order to join that PTA. Truth: PTA membership is open, without discrimination, to anyone who believes in and supports the mission, purposes, and principles of PTA.
- Myth: You can only join PTA in person at an event or at the school. Truth: Many PTAs now offer an online option to make it quick and easy for people to join.
- Myth: I do not need to join PTA this year because my child is remote or hybrid learning. Truth: You do still need to join because just like schools, PTAs are moving to a virtual space and continuing to connect families, teachers, and administrators and supporting critical school needs.
- Myth: PTA membership never expires. Truth: You need to join every year. Even though membership generally runs annually July-June, you can join anytime during the year.
- Myth: You can only be a member of one PTA. Truth: There is no limit to the number of PTAs or PTSAs you can support.
- Myth: I do not need to join PTA now that my child is in high school. Truth: Students who attend a high school with a PTA or PTSA are more likely to graduate; and the more members in the PTA/PTSA, the higher the overall graduation rate.
- Myth: PTA is only a social club. Truth: PTA is a membership-based advocacy association. Local PTAs build community between schools and families. Join to have your voice heard!
- Myth: I can only join a PTA at the beginning of the school year. Truth: You can join a PTA anytime!
The flyer provides one bonus myth that a lot of PTAs believe as well.
Myth: All PTA activities must happen at a school or on campus. Truth: PTAs can host their meetings, events, programs, etc. anywhere! For example: libraries, community centers, recreation centers, outside, virtually, etc.