May is Mental Health Month, and once again the folks at Mental Health America have created a free Mental Health Month Toolkit that your PTA can use to raise awareness of mental health issues. This year’s toolkit, called Look Around, Look Within, is focused on how our surroundings affect our mental health. Topics addressed include the roles of safe and stable housing, healthy home environments, neighborhoods and towns, and the outdoors and nature in supporting mental health.
The toolkit is loaded with practice resources that your PTA can share with families, local media, and local officials. Within the toolkit, you will find:
- A drop-in article for your newsletter
- A May is Mental Health Month proclamation for your city council or school board
- Social media posts and graphics
- Posters for school
- Fact sheets to share with families
- Worksheets you or your families can use to begin to improve their environment at home to support mental health
- Outreach ideas and additional resources and graphics
Part of this year’s message for Mental Health Month is that wherever you call home should give you feelings up comfort, support, and calmness, and if it doesn’t, there are things you can do to your home environment to improve it. Download the free toolkit today and share the resources with your school, your families, and your community.